Metabolic profile and skin-related bioactivities of Cerioporus squamosus hydromethanolic extract
Abstract. Elkhateeb WA, Daba GM, Elnahas MO, Thomas PW, Emam M. 2020. Metabolic profile and skin-related bioactivities of Cerioporus squamosus hydromethanolic extract. Biodiversitas 21: 4732-4740. Being a functional food capable of showing nutritional as well as medicinal properties have great attention. Mushrooms have been proven as leading targets in this field. For this purpose, the edible mushroom Cerioporus squamosus was investigated in this study to evaluate the in vitro skin-related bioactivities of its hydromethanolic extract in terms of enhancing wound healing, and human skin cancer suppression capabilities. Treatment of fibroblast cells (BJ-1) with the hydromethanolic extract of this mushroom at 50 µg/mL enhanced cell migration rates by 71.7% after 24 h of exposure to the extract. Moreover, the same extract exhibited a promising impact on human skin cancer using an epidermoid carcinoma cell line (A431). The gradual increase in C. squamosus hydromethanolic extract concentration caused gradual decrease in the A431 cell viability and proliferation. Maximum effect on reducing the cell viability was obtained at a concentration of 100 µg/mL, where cell viability was 3.7%, and recorded IC50 was 52.6 µg/mL. The metabolic profile of the extract was analyzed by GC-MS, which was performed on its silylated metabolites. Nineteen compounds were detected including sugar alcohols, amino acids, fatty and organic acids. Promising results of this mushroom extract encourage conducting further steps towards using this mushroom as a functional food showing promising bioactivities.
2. Blagodatski A, Yatsunskaya M, Mikhailova V, Tiasto V, Kagansky A, Katanaev VL. 2018. Medicinal mushrooms as an attractive new source of natural compounds for future cancer therapy. Oncotarget 9(49): p.29259.
3. Bolla SR, Al-Subaie AM, Al-Jindan RY, Balakrishna JP, Ravi PK, Veeraraghavan VP, Pillai AA, Gollapalli SS, Joseph JP, Surapaneni KM. 2019. In vitro wound healing potency of methanolic leaf extract of Aristolochia saccata is possibly mediated by its stimulatory effect on collagen-1 expression. Heliyon 5(5): p.e01648.
4. Calder PC. 2011. Fatty acids and inflammation: the cutting edge between food and pharma. European journal of pharmacology 668: S50-S58.
5. Castellaro AM, Tonda A, Cejas HH, Ferreyra H, Caputto BL, Pucci OA, Gil GA. 2015. Oxalate induces breast cancer. BMC cancer 15(1): 761-773.
6. Chhikara BS, Jean NS, Mandal D, Kumar A, Parang K. 2011. Fatty acyl amide derivatives of doxorubicin: Synthesis and in vitro anticancer activities. European journal of medicinal chemistry 46(6): 2037-2042.
7. Chinembiri TN, Du Plessis LH, Gerber M, Hamman JH, Du Plessis J. 2014. Review of natural compounds for potential skin cancer treatment. Molecules 19(8): 11679-11721.
8. Council NR. 1989. Recommended dietary allowances, National Academies Press
9. Daba G, Elkhateeb W, EL-Dien AN, Fadl E, Elhagrasi A, Fayad W, Wen TC. 2020. Therapeutic potentials of n-hexane extracts of the three medicinal mushrooms regarding their anti-colon cancer, antioxidant, and hypocholesterolemic capabilities. Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity 21(6): 2437-2445.
10. El-Hagrassi A, Daba G, Elkateeb W, Ahmed E, Negm El Dien A, Fayad W, Shaheen M, Shehata R, El-Manawaty M, Wen TC. 2020. In vitro bioactive potential and chemical analysis of the n-hexane extract of the medicinal mushroom, Cordyceps militaris. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology 16: 40-48.
11. Elkhateeb W, A, Daba GM, Elnahas MO, Thomas PW. 2019a. Fomes fomentarius and Polyporus squamosus models of marvel medicinal mushrooms. Egyptian Pharmaceutical Journal 18: 285-289.
12. Elkhateeb W, El-Sayed H, Fayad W, Al Kolaibe AG, Emam M, Daba G. 2020. In vitro Anti-breast cancer and antifungal Bio-efficiency of some microalgal extracts. Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries 24(1): 263-279.
13. Elkhateeb WA, Daba GM, Elnahas MO, Thomas PW. 2019b. Anticoagulant Capacities of Some Medicinal Mushrooms. ARC Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 5: 12-16.
14. Elkhateeb WA, Daba GM, Sheir D, El-Dein AN, Fayad W, Elmahdy EM, Shaheen MN, Thomas PW, Wen TC. 2019d. GC-MS analysis and in-vitro hypocholesterolemic, anti-rotavirus, anti-human colon carcinoma activities of the crude extract of a Japanese Ganoderma spp. Egyptian Pharmaceutical Journal 18(2): p.102.
15. Elkhateeb WA, Elnahas MO, Thomas PW, Daba GM. 2019c. To Heal or Not to Heal? Medicinal Mushrooms Wound Healing Capacities. ARC Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 5(4): 28-35.
16. Farag MA, Mohsen E, Abd El Nasser G. 2018. Sensory metabolites profiling in Myristica fragrans (Nutmeg) organs and in response to roasting as analyzed via chemometric tools. LWT 97: 684-692.
17. Fauser JK, Matthews GM, Cummins AG, Howarth GS. 2013. Induction of apoptosis by the medium-chain length fatty acid lauric acid in colon cancer cells due to induction of oxidative stress. Chemotherapy 59(3): 214-224.
18. Fernandes Â, Petrovi? J, Stojkovi? D, Barros L, Glamo?lija J, Sokovi? M, Martins A, Ferreira IC. 2016. Polyporus squamosus (Huds.) Fr from different origins: Chemical characterization, screening of the bioactive properties and specific antimicrobial effects against Pseudomonas aeruginosa. LWT-Food Science and Technology 69: 91-97.
19. Ferreira, I.C., Barros, L., Abreu, R., 2009. Antioxidants in wild mushrooms. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 16(12), 1543-1560.
20. Gu Y, Chen T, Fu S, Sun X, Wang L, Wang J, Lu Y, Ding S, Ruan G, Teng L, Wang M. 2015. Perioperative dynamics and significance of amino acid profiles in patients with cancer. Journal of translational medicine 13(1): p.35.
21. Guo SA, DiPietro LA. 2010. Factors affecting wound healing. Journal of dental research 89: 219-229.
22. Gupta A, Kirar V, Keshri GK, Gola S, Yadav A, Negi PS, Misra K. 2014. Wound healing activity of an aqueous extract of the Lingzhi or Reishi medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Higher Basidiomycetes). International journal of medicinal mushrooms 16: 345?354.
23. Harada H, Yamashita U, Kurihara H, Fukushi E, Kawabata J, Kamei Y. 2002. Antitumor activity of palmitic acid found as a selective cytotoxic substance in a marine red alga. Anticancer research 22(5): 2587-2590.
24. Harhaji LJ, Mijatovi? S, Maksimovi?-Ivani? D, Stojanovi? I, Mom?ilovi? M, Maksimovi? V, Tufegdži? S, Marjanovi? Ž, Mostarica-Stojkovi? M, Vu?ini? Ž, Stoši?-Gruji?i? S, 2008. Anti-tumor effect of Coriolus versicolor methanol extract against mouse B16 melanoma cells: in vitro and in vivo study. Food and chemical toxicology 46(5): 1825-1833.
25. Hart FJ, Hart Francis J. 2000. Oxalic acid or oxalate composition and method of treatment. U.S. Patent 6:133-317.
26. Ivanova TS, Krupodorova TA, Barshteyn VY, Artamonova AB, Shlyakhovenko VA, 2014. Anticancer substances of mushroom origin. Experimental oncology 36: 58-66.
27. James WD, Elston D, Berger, T. 2011. Andrew's Diseases of the Skin E-Book: Clinical Dermatology. Elsevier Health Sciences 1-12.
28. Kumarasamyraja D, Jeganathan N, Manavalan R. 2012. A review on medicinal plants with potential wound healing activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2: 105-11.
29. Lorincz AB, Kuttner RE, Brandt MB. 1969. Tumor response to phenylalanine-tyrosine-limited diets. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 54: 198-205.
30. Lu X, Li C, Wang YK, Jiang K, Gai XD. 2014. Sorbitol induces apoptosis of human colorectal cancer cells via p38 MAPK signal transduction. Oncology letters 7(6): 1992-1996.
31. Maddocks OD, Athineos D, Cheung EC, Lee P, Zhang T, van den Broek NJ, Mackay GM, Labuschagne CF, Gay D, Kruiswijk F, Blagih J. 2017. Modulating the therapeutic response of tumours to dietary serine and glycine starvation. Nature 544(7650): 372-376.
32. Marfè G, Morgante E, Di Stefano C, Di Renzo L, De Martino L, Iovane G, Russo MA, Sinibaldi-Salimei P. 2008. Sorbitol-induced apoptosis of human leukemia is mediated by caspase activation and cytochrome c release. Archives of toxicology 82(6): 371-377.
33. Martin P. 1997. Wound healing--aiming for perfect skin regeneration. Science 276(5309): 75-81.
34. Menke NB, Ward KR, Witten TM, Bonchev DG, Diegelmann RF. 2007. Impaired wound healing. Clinics in dermatology 25: 19-25.
35. Mocan A, Fernandes Â, Barros L, Cri?an G, Smiljkovi? M, Sokovi? M, Ferreira IC. 2018. Chemical composition and bioactive properties of the wild mushroom Polyporus squamosus (Huds.) Fr: A study with samples from Romania. Food & function 9(1): 160-170.
36. Mosmann T. 1983 Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. Journal of immunological methods 65: 55-63.
37. Nayak PA, Nayak UA, Khandelwal V. 2014. The effect of xylitol on dental caries and oral flora. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dentistry 6: p.89.
38. Park E, Park MH, Na HS, Chung J. 2015. Xylitol induces cell death in lung cancer A549 cells by autophagy. Biotechnology letters 37(5): 983-990.
39. Payne WG, Naidu DK, Wheeler CK, Barkoe D, Mentis M, Salas RE, Smith Jr DJ, Robson MC. 2008. Wound healing in PatientsWith cancer. Eplasty 8.
40. Ravi L, Krishnan K. 2017. Cytotoxic potential of N-hexadecanoic acid extracted from Kigelia pinnata leaves. Asian J. Cell Biol 12: 20-27.
41. Sakurai S, Okada Y, Mataga I. 2011. Inhibitory Effects of Glycerol on Growth and Invasion of Human Oral Cancer Cell Lines. Journal of Hard Tissue Biology, 20(1), 37-46.
42. Sandhya S, Talukdar J, Bhaishya D. 2016. Chemical and biological properties of lauric acid: A review. Int. J. Adv. Res 4: 1123-1128.
43. Sen CK. 2019 Human wounds and its burden: an updated compendium of estimates. Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers 140 Huguenot Street 3rd Floor New.
44. Sheela D, Narayanankutty A, Nazeem PA, Raghavamenon AC, Muthangaparambil SR, 2019. Lauric acid induce cell death in colon cancer cells mediated by the epidermal growth factor receptor downregulation: An in silico and in vitro study. Human & experimental toxicology 38(7): 753-761.
45. Silva JR, Burger B, Kühl C, Candreva T, dos Anjos MB, Rodrigues HG. 2018. Wound healing and omega-6 fatty acids: From inflammation to repair. Mediators of inflammation 2018.
46. Stengler M. 2010. The Natural Physician's Healing Therapies: Proven Remedies Medical Doctors Don't Know, Penguin
47. Thabrew MI, Hughes RD, Mcfarlane IG. 1997. Screening of hepatoprotective plant components using a HepG2 cell cytotoxicity assay. Journal of pharmacy and pharmacology 49: 1132-1135.
48. Trachootham D, Chingsuwanrote P, Yoosadiang P, Mekkriangkrai D, Ratchawong T, Buraphacheep N, Kijanukul S, Saekhow S, Pongpitchayadej O, Vongvachvasin K, Sittikornpaiboon P. 2017. Partial substitution of glucose with xylitol suppressed the glycolysis and selectively inhibited the proliferation of oral cancer cells. Nutrition and cancer 69(6): 862-872.
49. Trajkovi? LM, Mijatovi? SA, Maksimovi?-Ivani? DD, Stojanovi? ID, Mom?ilovi? MB, Tufegdži? SJ, Maksimovi? VM, Marjanovi ŽS, Stoši?-Gruji?i? SD. 2009. Anticancer properties of Ganoderma lucidum methanol extracts in vitro and in vivo. Nutrition and Cancer 61(5): 696-707.
50. Vaughan RA, Gannon NP, Garcia-Smith R, Licon-Munoz Y, Barberena MA, Bisoffi M. Trujillo KA. 2014. ?-alanine suppresses malignant breast epithelial cell aggressiveness through alterations in metabolism and cellular acidity in vitro. Molecular cancer 13(1): p.14.
51. Williams JZ, Abumrad N, Barbul A. 2002. Effect of a specialized amino acid mixture on human collagen deposition. Annals of surgery 236: 369.
52. World health organization, Fact sheet: Cancer, 2018. WHO: Geneva, Switzerland. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cancer.
53. Zhao YY. 2013. Traditional uses, phytochemistry, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and quality control of Polyporus umbellatus (Pers.) Fries: a review. Journal of ethnopharmacology 149(1): 35-48.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- GHOSON M. DABA, WAILL A. ELKHATEEB, ASMAA NEGM EL-DEIN, EMAN F. AHMED, ALI MOHAMED EL HAGRASSI, WALID FAYAD, TING-CHI WEN, Therapeutic potentials of n-hexane extracts of the three medicinal mushrooms regarding their anti-colon cancer, antioxidant, and hypocholesterolemic capabilities , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 6 (2020)