Abstract. Ayudya DR, Herlinda S, Suwandi S. 2019. Insecticidal activity of culture filtrates from liquid medium of Beauveria bassiana isolates from South Sumatra (Indonesia) wetland soil against larvae of Spodoptera litura. Biodiversitas 20: 2101-2109. The obstacle in utilizing entomopathogenic fungi to control pest insects in wetlands is the inability of their isolates to survive during the saprophytic phase due to the soil being very acidic. Therefore, the exploration of fungi being able to survive in the acidic soil was utilized in the acidic ecosystem. This study aimed to test the toxic activity of Beauveria bassiana culture filtrates from liquid medium at pH 2.5 and 6 against Spodoptera litura larvae. Total of ten isolates collected from South Sumatra, Indonesia was grown in liquid media at pH of 2.5 and 6 for six weeks. The result showed that the culture filtrate from liquid medium at pH 6 was more toxic against the larvae than that at pH 2.5. The mortality of the larvae at pH 6 reached 92%, while that at pH 2.5 it reached 13.33% only. The findings of present study revealed that the culture filtrate isolates of BPdR, BJgTs, BSwTd2, BSwTd3, BSwTd4, BKKPp2 from pH 2.5 media still caused high larvae mortality (6.67-13.33%). These seven isolates are superior due to their toxic nature at pH 2.5. Consequently, present study has increased the chances of success in utilizing these isolates for biological control in acidic ecosystems, such as peatlands, tidal lowlands, and freshwater swamps.
Cheong P. 2015. Bioactive Metabolites of an Isolate of the Entomopathogenic Fungus Beauveria bassiana. Lincoln University, USA.
Dohong A, Aziz AA, Dargusch P. 2018. Carbon emissions from oil palm development on deep peat soil in Central Kalimantan Indonesia. Anthropocene 22: 31–39.
Herlinda S. 2010. Spore density and viability of entomopathogenic fungal isolates from Indonesia, and their virulence against Aphis gossypii Glover (Homoptera: Aphididae). Tropical Life Sci Res 21: 11-19.
Herlinda S, Rizkie L, Suwandi, Susilawati, Lakitan B, Verawaty M, et al. 2018a. Effects of high temperature and ultraviolet-C irradiance on conidial viability and density of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae isolated from soils of lowland ecosystems in Indonesia. Eurasian J Anal Chem 13: 209–216.
Herlinda S, Yudha S, Thalib R, Khodijah, Suwandi, Lakitan B, et al. 2018b. Species richness and abundance of spiders inhabiting rice in fresh swamps and tidal lowlands in South Sumatra, Indonesia. J ISSAAS 24: 82–93.
Johari A, Herlinda S, Irsan C, Pujiastuti Y. 2016. Phenomenon of Thrips (Thysanoptera) attack on chili plant (Capsicum annuum). Am J Agric Biol Sci 11: 103–109.
Johari A, Herlinda S, Pujiastuti Y, Irsan C, Sartiami D. 2014. Morphological and genetic variation of Thrips parvispinus (Thysanoptera?: Thripidae) in chili plantation (Capsicum annuum L .) in the lowland and highland of Jambi Province, Indonesia. Am J Biosci. 2: 17–21.
Kartika K, Lakitan B, Wijaya A, Kadir S, Widuri LI, Siaga E. 2018. Effects of particle size and application rate of rice-husk biochar on chemical properties of tropical wetland soil, rice growth and yield. AJCS 12: 817–826.
Khachatourians GG, Qazi SS, Reid WR. 2007. Biochemistry and molecular biology of entomopathogenic fungi. In: Brakhage, A.A. and Zipfer, P.F. (Eds.), The Mycota VI: Human and animal relationships. Springer-Verlag Berlin & Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 1-42.
Kodir KA, Juwita Y. 2016. Morphological characterization and inventory of local wetland rice collected from South Sumatra Province. Bul Plasma Nutfah 22: 101–108.
Mancillas-Paredes JM, Hernández-Sánchez H, Jaramillo-Flores ME, and García-Gutiérrez C. 2019. Proteases and chitinases induced in Beauveria bassiana during infection by Zabrotes subfasciatus. Southwestern Entomologist 44(1): 125-137.
Marlina N, Asmawati, Zairani FY, Midranisiah, Aryani I, Kalasari R. 2016. Biofertilizer utilization in increasing inorganic fertilizer efficiency and rice yield at c-type flooding land of Tanjung Lago Tidal Lowland. Int J Engg res Sci Tech 5: 74–83.
Mulyani A, Sarwani M. 2013. The characteristic and potential of sub optimal land for agricultural development in Indonesia. J Sumberd Lokal 7: 47–55. [Indonesia].
Pham TA, Kim JJ, Kim SG, Kim K. 2009. Production of blastospore of entomopathogenic submerged batch culture. Mycobiology 37: 218–224.
Pinnamaneni R, Kalidas P, Rao KRSS. 2010. Cloning and expression of Bbchit1 gene of Beauveria bassiana. Open Entomol J 4: 30–35.
Qazi SS. 2008. Regulatory role of ambient pH in the expression of pathogenicity determinant gene products of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae. [Dissertation]. University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan.
Rizkie L, Herlinda S, Suwandi, Irsan C, Susilawati, Lakitan B. 2017. Conidial density and viability of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae grown on the low-pH in vitro medium. J HPT Trop 17: 119–127. [Indonesia].
Safitri A, Herlinda S, Setiawan A. 2018. Entomopathogenic fungi of soils of freshwater swamps, tidal lowlands, peatlands, and highlands of South Sumatra, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 19: 2365–2373.
Sharma S, Agarwal GP, Rajak RC. 1992. Effect of temperature, pH and light on toxin production by Beauveria bassiana (Bal) Vuill. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 30: 918-919.
Sumikarsih E, Herlinda S, Pujiastuti Y. 2019. Conidial density and viability of Beauveria bassiana isolates from Java and Sumatra and their virulence against Nilaparvata lugens at different temperatures. Agrivita 41: 335–349.
Utami SNH, Maas A, Radjagukguk B, Purwanto BH. 2009. Nature on soil phisical, chemical and ftir spectrophotometry of hydrophobic peat from Central Kalimantan. J Trop Soils 14: 159–166.
Widuri LI, Lakitan B, Hasmeda M, Sodikin E, Wijaya A, Kartika K, et al. 2017. Relative leaf expansion rate and other leaf-related indicators for detection of drought stress in chili pepper (Capsicum annuum L .). Aust J Crop Sci 11: 1617–1625.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- SITI HERLINDA, NONI OCTARIATI, SUWANDI SUWANDI, HASBI, Exploring entomopathogenic fungi from South Sumatra (Indonesia) soil and their pathogenicity against a new invasive maize pest, Spodoptera frugiperda , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 7 (2020)
- MIMMA GUSTIANINGTYAS, SITI HERLINDA, SUWANDI SUWANDI, The endophytic fungi from South Sumatra (Indonesia) and their pathogenecity against the new invasive fall armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- TILI KARENINA, SITI HERLINDA, CHANDRA IRSAN, YULIA PUJIASTUTI, Abundance and species diversity of predatory arthropods inhabiting rice of refuge habitats and synthetic insecticide application in freshwater swamps in South Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 8 (2019)
- SITI HERLINDA, TITI TRICAHYATI, CHANDRA IRSAN, TILI KARENINA, HASBI, SUPARMAN, BENYAMIN LAKITAN, ERISE ANGGRAINI, ARSI, Arboreal arthropod assemblages in chili pepper with different mulches and pest managements in freshwater swamps of South Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 6 (2021)
- SITI HERLINDA, RISKI ANWAR EFENDI, RADIX SUHARJO, HASBI, ARUM SETIAWAN, ELFITA, MARIESKA VERAWATY, New emerging entomopathogenic fungi isolated from soil in South Sumatra (Indonesia) and their filtrate and conidial insecticidal activity against Spodoptera litura , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 11 (2020)
- SOLEHA SOLEHA, AHMAD MUSLIM, SUWANDI SUWANDI, SABARUDDIN KADIR, RAHMAT PRATAMA, Host range studies of Fusarium oxysporum, causal agent of seedling wilt disease of Acacia mangium , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 1 (2022)
- TILI KARENINA, SITI HERLINDA, CHANDRA IRSAN, YULIA PUJIASTUTI, HASBI, SUPARMAN, BENYAMIN LAKITAN, HARMAN HAMIDSON, ABU UMAYAH, Community structure of arboreal and soil-dwelling arthropods in three different rice planting indexes in freshwater swamps of South Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 10 (2020)
- KHOIRUL IKHSANUDIN HANIF, SITI HERLINDA, CHANDRA IRSAN, YULIA PUJIASTUTI, GHANNI PRABAWATI, HASBI, TILI KARENINA, The impact of bioinsecticide overdoses of Beauveria bassiana on species diversity and abundance of not targeted arthropods in South Sumatra (Indonesia) freshwater swamp paddy , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 5 (2020)
- SITI HERLINDA, GHANNI PRABAWATI, YULIA PUJIASTUTI, SUSILAWATI, TILI KARENINA, HASBI, CHANDRA IRSAN, Herbivore insects and predatory arthropods in freshwater swamp rice field in South Sumatra, Indonesia sprayed with bioinsecticides of entomopathogenic fungi and abamectin , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 8 (2020)
- ERISE ANGGRAINI, WIDA NUR ANISA, SITI HERLINDA, CHANDRA IRSAN, SUPARMAN SUPARMAN, SUWANDI SUWANDI, MUHAMMAD UMAR HARUN, BAMBANG GUNAWAN, Phytophagous insects and predatory arthropods in soybean and zinnia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 3 (2021)